Music collection catalogin
Tom Masterson
2011-02-19 22:50:10 UTC
Can anyone suggest an accessible linux program for catloging our music
collection? Either console or gnome?

Tom
Hart Larry
2011-02-20 00:06:20 UTC
Well Tom, while I don't know of any software, what I do is either move or
download items based on a jonra or decade.
For example, if I run a ls inside an mp3 directory, we get
70s
80s
90s
airchex
baseball
books
boxing
country
cristian
dance
dec-talk
disco
folk
holiday
jewish
jingles
jpost
mp3-trim
mutella
news
novelty
oldies
overnet
radio
rap
rave
rockabilly
spanish
sports
weather
Obviously 2 of these were file sharing programs where I would conveniently save
items until they were moved to a catagory. I have the same plan for any music
videos.
Hart
Jude DaShiell
2011-02-20 03:36:14 UTC
This is Linux and it has cataloging software. The cataloging software is
very powerful and has names like mysql and postgresql. Both programs have
tutorials available on the internet to get first time users up and
running. With these programs though, you get to construct any kind of
catalog you want for any purpose. You get lots more flexibility and
control that way. Very probably music catalogs do exist others have
already built in mysql and postgresql, but if those catalogs aren't set up
the way you want you're going to have to learn their source code before
you can make your own desired modifications. On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Hart
Tom Masterson
2011-02-20 16:15:12 UTC
What I am looking for is something that looks at the cd, grabs the
information required to look at something like cddb and give back the
artist, tracks, tec and store it in a database. Yes I know I can write
something and yes I have the know how to do it but unlike some I don't
believe in reinventing the wheel. If it already exists in some form then
why should I rewrite it?

I know souch things exist for windows so I am asking if they exist for
linux.

Tom
Jude DaShiell
marbux
2011-02-21 06:46:09 UTC
Don't know how they are for accessibility or suitability to your
desires because I haven't tested them, but I found the following
prowling the Ubuntu 10.10 repositories. I emphasize that all I know
about them is contained in the quoted descriptions.

-- tellico

Tellico is a collection manager for KDE. It includes default
collections for books, bibliographies, comic books, videos, music,
coins, stamps, trading cards, and wines, and also allows custom
collections; with unlimited user-defined fields allowed. Automatically
formatted names, sorting by any property, filters, automatic ISBN
validation and full customization for printing or display through XSLT
files are some of the features present. It can import CSV, RIS,
BibTeX, and BibTeXML files; and export CSV, HTML, BibTeX, BibTeXML,
and PilotDB. Tellico can also import data from Amazon, IMDb, CDDB, or
any US-MARC compliant z39.50 server.

The files are stored in XML format, avoiding the need for database
server. It also makes it easy for other softwares to use the Tellico
data.

-- GCstar

GCstar is an application for managing your collections. It supports
many types of collections, including movies, books, games, comics,
stamps, coins, and many more. You can even create your own
collection type for whatever unique thing it is that you collect.

Detailed information on each item can be automatically retrieved
from the internet and you can store additional data, such as the
location or who you've lent it to. You may also search and filter
your collection by many criteria.

GCstar is the successor GCfilms and is compatible to its databases.
As GCfilms isn't developed any more GCstars replaces GCfilms.

-- banshee

Banshee is a media management and playback application for the GNOME
desktop, allowing users to import audio from CDs, search their
library, create playlists of selections of their library, sync music
to/from iPods and other media devices, play and manage video files and
burn selections to a CD. See also banshee-mego (mobile device
integration).

-- Quod Libet

Quod Libet is a music management program. It provides several
different ways to view your audio library, as well as support for
Internet radio and audio feeds. It has extremely flexible metadata tag
editing and searching capabilities, using the same interface as Ex
Falso.

Supported formats include MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack (MPC),
WavPack, and MOD/XM/IT.

-- juk

* Music collection, playlists, and smart playlists
* Tag editing support, including the ability to edit multiple files at once
* Tag-based music file organization and renaming
* Automatic tagging using MusicBrainz
* CD burning support using k3b
* Album art using Google Image Search

-- music librarian

Music Librarian is a tool to assist you in organizing your collection
of music files. It provides an interface from which you can view the
list of files in your collection and modify the tags of one or more
files.

-- jajuk

Jajuk is software that organizes and plays music. Jajuk is designed
to be intuitive, fast and provide multiple ways to perform the same
operation. It is a fully-featured application geared towards advanced
users with very large or scattered music collections.

-- audiolink

AudioLink is a tool that makes searching for music on your local
storage media easier and faster. Your searches can include a variety
of criteria, like male artists, female artists, band, genre, etc.

It works with MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files and creates a MySQL database in
which it stores the information about the music files. It creates
symbolic links to the actual music files based on the search
results. You can search for multiple fields, like artist, band,
composer, lyricist, etc.

-- plait

Plait (pronounced "play") is a command-line jukebox and music player
front end. It understands brief, easy to type queries that pick a
single song, mix queries that combine works from multiple artists,
stream queries that find Shoutcast radio streams, and everything in
between.

A variety of filters are available to pick just the music you want
to hear. In order to actually play the music it finds, Plait
automatically hands off a play list to one of the supported
music players (or you can use it manually with any player that
supports .m3u playlists).

-- rhythmbox

Rhythmbox is a very easy to use music playing and management program
which supports a wide range of audio formats (including mp3 and ogg).
Originally inspired by Apple's iTunes, the current version also
supports Internet Radio, iPod integration and generic portable audio
player support, Audio CD burning, Audio CD playback, music sharing,
and
Podcasts.

-- python-musicbrainz2

python-musicbrainz2 provides simple, object oriented access to the
MusicBrainz web service. It is useful for applications like CD
rippers, taggers, media players, and other tools that need music
metadata.

The MusicBrainz Project (see http://musicbrainz.org) collects music
metadata and is maintained by its large and constantly growing user community.

-- Enna

Enna is a Media Center application. Featuring a simple user interface,
Enna allows the user to browse and play music and video files, browse
pictures and play photo slideshows, build a database of the available
media, retrieve information from the Internet (such as covers, fan
art, song lyrics, and much more). Enna is based on the powerful
Enlightenment Foundations Libraries (EFL) for its graphical user
interface and GeeXboX libraries for multimedia playback and
information retrieval.

Best regards,

Paul